Monday, June 9, 2014

Should I be Decisive?

When it comes to making decisions – whether insignificant or life-altering – I usually have no idea where to begin. I also have an unfortunate tendency to procrastinate on making up my mind. This lets me “keep my options open” and defer any negative consequences that could result from the decision. This combination of vacillation and hesitation makes for one indecisive person.
But many times, my indecisiveness stems from my want to figure out “God's will” for my life. Every last detail. Because I know that God has a perfect plan for my life (Jeremiah 29:11), and I don't want to stray from it, I sometimes find myself struggling with even the simplest of decisions.
Whether it's deciding where to go to school or work, which relationships to invest in, or even when to stop doing something, I have found a verse that has given me so much more confidence in my decision-making skills: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.
It says, “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.”
When I read the last part I did a double take. “...this is God's will for you...” Could God's will for me really be that simple? His will for me is to “Rejoice always, pray continually,” and “give thanks in all circumstances”?
My immediate reaction was relief. This verse was almost permission for me to stop “sweating the small stuff” and worrying and to instead boldly move forward with my life decisions. God does not want me to be timid (2 Timothy 1:7) and doesn't want me to fret about the little details (Matthew 6:26). He wants me to trust Him with every step I take, even if I don't know the outcome.
So now, when I can't make a decision, this is what I can do:
      1. REJOICE ALWAYS – Worrying, over-thinking, or being negative about a difficult decision in no way helps. All they do is allow you to obsess over your problem and lose confidence in your decision-making skills.
      2. PRAY CONTINUALLY – Obviously the future is unknown. Just pray and give it completely to God! Make a decision that you believe is God-honoring and trust that no matter what happens, God is going to be with you to help you through any aftermath.
      3. GIVE THANKS IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES – I have so much to be thankful for! It's important that I don't lose sight of that while I am distracted by all my difficult decisions.
Being joyful and thankful gives me peace and fulfillment in the present and continual prayer ensures that I am walking with God into the unknown future!

2 comments:

  1. This is great ariel. I can majorly relate. You are so relate-able, clear, and honest in the way you word things. seriously great first blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life and your words bring light to the world!

    ReplyDelete